During second year we were tasked with designing and prototyping a light. The first stage of the project was exploring different design techniques to aid us in coming up with a suitable concept. The second stage was design integration, this was where we did research into the different materials, components and manufacturing techniques we could use to create our idea. The final stage in the project was prototyping. This was where we had to either create a physical prototype or a virtual one of our product.
The idea for my product came when I was climbing in France. During one of our days climbing, we decided to stay late and do a bit of night time bouldering. We quickly found that even with the numerous head torches we had, it was very difficult to get the route lit with an even spread of light. This made climbing very difficult and rather frustrating. Research into the problem showed me solutions which people have used to climb at night. Most relied on bulky gas lanterns to light up the climb.
This lead me onto designing a solution which was both convenient, compact, eco friendly and most importantly gave an even spread of bright light.
My final concept was a modular light, consisting of a main battery pack which the lights sat in. This could be used as a flood light as well. Each of the six lights could also be removed from the pack and placed in the climbers desired location. Thus creating an array of lights which gave an even spread of bright light and helps eliminate shadows.
As with any product there will always be room for improvement. For this concept I would have like to have included a diffuse cover over all the lights. To create a softer flood light effect. More exploration into the shape of the product could have been done as well.
Overall I’m very happy with the final concept, and is something I would actually quite like to see produced. Not just because it’s a concept which I designed, but it’s a concept which will give me more time climbing!